Saturday, August 22, 2009

teaching the children!

If you were at the 2009 IFVP conference in Montreal in August, did you notice a little girl quietly working away on her own graphics during the time that Rick Payne was speaking?  The little girl’s name is Montserrat.  She is the daughter of Hector and Marcela Urteaga who came to observe part of the conference.  Having Montserrat present provided a wonderful moment of serendipity for me.  I met the family in the hall as they were noting certain aspects of a graphic that I had done.  I asked Montserrat if she liked to draw pictures.  She said she did and I talked with her about the graphic pictures on the wall and suggested she try it sometime.  When I realized that she and her father were watching part of the presentation and that she was in the back of the room listening to her I-pod, I decided there was no time like the present and took paper and markers to her.  I returned to speak with her a couple of times.  Before leaving Montserrat had drawn pictures of many beloved items she had left behind in Mexico when she and her family moved to Montreal.  Her pictures were bold and colorful, and Montserrat seemed to derive great satisfaction from the drawings and telling me about them.  She gave me a big hug (great payment!) and I do believe her step was just a little lighter when she and her Dad left the conference!  This child certainly did “get it” and she certainly was open to being educated about graphics.  How might you educate a child or ten or twenty about graphic interpretation this week?

 

JuliaSimmons

 

Dialogue Matters

Generating conversations to get the job done well!

Julia@DialogueMatters.org

 (336)657-3032

563 Rector Road

Ennice, NC 28623

www.DialogueMatters.us.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment